Recent Adventures

So we finally did it. We finally planned that trip to Greece we always wanted.

Conor and I both have vacation lists. It includes all the places in the world we want to some day visit. The list is quite lengthy so we've made it a goal to get a good jump on things while we are still young. We usually plan to go early in December for our anniversary (when the flights are cheap) but with the way the dang marine corps has been doing things these days we just have to take them as we can get them.
I'm not sure how public the knowledge is at this point but I’m pretty sure that most people know that Conor will be leaving with the Marines for a year in Afghanistan. While this news sucks, it allowed us to plan a big nasty trip and use the excuse "Conor is going back to the war". So we compared travel lists and picked a place that we had in common that would be come increasingly difficult once the children arrive, it is for this reason that we have not yet gone to Disneyland together.

We ended up picking Greece. I spent a day at work looking up vacations and dates and as much information as I could. We found a little cruise line that takes you to several Greek Islands as well as makes stops at some of the cooler places in Turkey. We liked the two for one idea and I’d always heard that Istanbul was really awesome. So we worked out dates and planned our flights and the trip was set.

Istanbul, Turkey- This was awesome!! I was surprised how much I enjoyed it. We went to all the fun places you talk about in art history class including the Blue Mosque and the Hagia Sophia. We ended up spending a few lira at the grand bazaar as well but that's to be expected.

Gallipoli- On the boat ride from Istanbul to Kusadasi we went right passed the Gallipoli peninsula. I was amazed by Conor's knowledge during this stretch of the trip. He knows so much, more than he lets on I think. We were sailing by and he was telling me all about what happened and how many had died and who was there and I was just blown away by how much he knew about it. He finished his little spiel and the guy driving the boat chimed in with his thoughts on what happened there, less eloquently than Conor I might add. That kid has got a memory on him.

Kusadasi, Turkey- We took a tour of the ancient city Ephesus. We went to the Virgin Mary's home, the Tomb of St. John the Baptist, and the ruins inside the Ephesus city walls. This place was crowded!! Oh and it was also like 1,000,000 degrees! So nasty.

Rhodes, Greece- Colossus of Rhodes, one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World. Too bad, there is nothing left to see. I'm sure it was cool though. It was kinda fun to talk around town and realize that they have just built all there shops and restaurants in to the old castle walls.

Bodrum, Turkey- We visited the Underwater Archaeological museum that was actually part of some ancient castle. While it was cool to walk through the castle the name of the museum is misleading. Once you've paid your fee and entered the gate they have a sign posted stating that none of the museum is actually underwater but there was a section in the museum of items that they found under the water. While still cool... everyone was expecting something completely different.

Santorini, Greece- I really enjoyed myself here. We were up pretty early this morning and were out on the deck when we pulled up to the dock. It was really amazing to see the way the city sits on the cliff with the sun coming up just behind it. You come in to the port at the bottom of this drop off cliff and you can ride a cable car to the top, or you can walk, or you can ride a donkey. Of course, we picked the donkeys.
I thought I was going to die. They throw you on a donkey, give them a shove and hope they find their way. Two times I went off the trail and some Greek dude had to push the donkey back on the path. I was nearly killed when smashed between my donkey and another one coming the other direction. I have a sweet shin bruise to show for it. At the time, I did think I was going to have to amputate.
Once at the top we decided to explore a little so we rented an ATV and just cruised the island all on our own. It was probably one of my favorite stops on the trip. There wasn't a whole lot to see but it was nice to do whatever we wanted.

Mykonos, Greece- We were pretty tired by this time. We had a really hard time getting on a good schedule while we were there. 10 days is just not enough time to adjust. So we planned to spend the day at the beach and not really do a whole lot. We went swimming, relaxed in the hot tub and read our books on the boat deck. It was a much-needed break.

Athens, Greece- You hear Athens and you think, sweet tourist spot. This is just not so. I was surprised by the condition of things there. You know it's a bad sign when the cab driver taking you to your hotel warns you not to stop and talk to the large groups of men on the street and if you can help it don't even walk by them cause they are probably doing or selling something illegal. It was completely filthy, trash all over the streets and walkways, there was graffiti on every wall, and just as promised guys were selling stolen passports and drugs and stolen phones on the side of the road.
We hiked to the Acropolis and saw the Parthenon. It was so crowded up there. I'll be honest it was really cool to be there and awesome to see but it was a bit of a let down for me at the same time. The whole thing was under construction and there is scaffolding all over. You can't get a picture from any angle that doesn’t show that they are doing work. It really just took a little tiny bit away from my experience there. It was awesome to stand on the edge and look over at just how huge Athens is.

1 comment:

  1. That sounds like a sweet trip. I would pay some good money to see you riding that donkey! I loved that story!

    ReplyDelete